|The first star...made with help from my 2-year-old|
What you need:
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour (or unbleached all-purpose)
- pinch of salt (optional)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch (or flour)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
What you do:
- Mix fruit, sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch in bowl; stir
- Add lemon juice and stir
- Let filling mixture sit while you make the crust:
- In the bowl you want to make your dough in, combine flour and salt (if desired)
- Add butter to the dough and use pastry cutter or butter knives to cut the butter in until there are only pea-sized or smaller chunks in the dough
- Add water (just a bit at a time) and work it into the dough with a fork until you can form a ball with the dough.
- Roll dough out on floured surface
- Use a large star-shaped cookie cutter to cut out large stars. You will need two stars for each pie starlet
- Spoon a tablespoon of so of filling onto each bottom star
- Place another star on top, and use your butter knife to make a small slash or two in the top of each for steam to escape from
- Bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes or until points are goldeny brown
- If desired, brush tops gently with butter or milk and sprinkle sugar on top-red and/or blue sanding sugar on blueberry pies would be especially cute for patriotic flair!
- For a 4th of July party, it'd be really fun to make some of these with blueberry filling and some with cherry or strawberry filling. You could use red and blue sugar on top to help guests tell which are which!